horizontal stabilizer


START! The main spar of the horizontal stabilizer.

2 profiles drilled to the spar. You drill into the jig and cleco as you go.

Then the brackets for the elevator are aligned and bored.

After priming and riveting. I use Zincchromate from PPG DeSoto, used at Airbus Industies as well. It's not easy to get, see the download area for the data-sheet and sources to buy it. To get some Marihuana is more simple. This is bullet-proof stuff, but you get cancer for free, if you are mad enough to spray without clean air supply. That's the reason, why buying it is so hard. (BTW, to buy dope is easier AND less expesive, I think. As they've called up the price, I got a little depressive...)

Now you have to measure up all ribs, place and drill them. The skin is simulated by little strips of scatch. The spar is locked to the jig for a leveled alignment.

Skeleton all done, time to fit the skin.

Here I don't followed the manual. They suggest to drill through the skin directly into the skeleton. Then chance of misalignment was to great for me, so I did it in a different way. I clamped one side, peeled back the opposite one and marked the position of the ribs with a sharpie. The same procedure on the other side, then I took off the skin, made the layout of the rivet-lines on the inside of the skin, predrilled the holes from that side, clamped it back on the skeleton and drilled with the correct size. No chance of missing a rib and beautiful rivet-lines!


No, the drilled skin, clecoed to the skeleton.

This is how it looks from the inside. The upper (front) side ist clecoed, the other side is peeled back for taking the picture.

The ready-drilled skin must be dimpled with the C-frame-tool.

This is how it looks after dimpling.

Cleco it a last time.....

Vernieten! (Die Daten auf den Fotos stimmen. Ich habe die Haut erst aufgenietet, nachdem Wilhelm Tank, mein (sehr netter, RV6-bauender!) Blechprüfer, alles gesehen hat. In der Zwischenzeit habe ich das Seitenleitwerk bis zum selben Stadium gebaut)...and rivet. I had to make a break, because the offical inspector (Wilhelm Tank, a very nice guy and builder of a RV6) had to take a look inside. I passed that inspection, so I started to close the stabilizers.

One half closed.....

....and finally the horizontal stabilizer is done! The fiberglass tibs will be installed together with all other fiberparts at the end of this part of the project.